Saturday, April 6, 2013

I'm still working on games #3

So it's a done deal, I'm not longer the technical lead at the start-up where I worked. It's not 100% sure yet but there's a high chance that the company is going to disappear, therefore I am not out of work. Just to clear things up beforehand; I think that I'm going to be fine, money-wise, for a period of months that could maybe range to a year if I really wanted to. Not too sure that I do, but at least I have some leeway to make choices on what I would be doing.

I think I could use that time to make a game. Yes, it would mean starting from scratch a new project and not simply working on my turn-based RPG nor my typing roguelike, but I have good reasons for that.

For the turn-based RPG, it's too big of a project, I would probably want to start it over completely and even then, I'm not sure it's doable in a few weeks-months.

For the roguelike, it's not really something I could publish somewhere (iOS, steam, etc) and besides being added to my portfolio, it wouldn't be that 'useful' to me. I think.

Now I still want to work on these projects and see how they go, but I also want to work full time on something else, which means about 7 hours per day, five days a week. The goal of that project will be the following:

  • To quickly produce something playable that represents the basic ideas of the game and how the gameplay could look like in the final version.
  • Get feedback quickly by any means possible (which right now seems to be posting on twitter, facebook, platformers.net, somethingawful maybe) to see what people think
  • Learn what there is to learn, make changes, updates, tweak systems, go back to step 1.
I always take too much time before delivering, I actually never do! I'm stuck forever in a weird 'well... this isn't good enough yet... I'll wait until I'm at least X percent done' and then I never get to that point and nothing ever gets released. I feel like the best way for me to make a game is to have people play it the soonest they can so I'll know.

Now I'm not too sure about technologies (Unity or HTML5? I know I have an Android and iOS license for Unity) but I have a basic idea of what I'll do.

This blog might turn into a dev diary, I'm not sure if I should post daily updates or weekly ones but I'm going to post updates, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment