Wednesday, April 3, 2013

iLook at Nimble Quest

Nimble Quest is similar to the 'snake' game, you need to move a line that grows longer without touching anything, nor the walls, nor the other parts of your snake. In this case, you have a line of heroes that walk alongside arena-style maps where you have to defeat enough enemies before you can proceed to the next level. You start with one hero from a list of fifteen heroes or so (albeit they are but all locked at the beginning) each with their attack types and armor values and then you acquire more heroes by finding them randomly in the levels.

Here's a line of 6 heroes in the sewers! I love the mages.
I have a few problems with the resources involved with Nimble Quest. You have two resources types (stop me if you've heard this one), one which is easy to gather but gets useless as the game goes on (I haven't played THAT much already but I unlocked all of the upgrades you can get) and another type that's pretty useful, but you get very slowly and have to pay money to get it fast.
I've upgraded all of these things.
The upgrades are weird also, you just increase the duration of buffs you gather randomly by killing monsters. I wish there was more to it than just duration upgrades, such as upgrades to increase the chance of finding certain powerups, or even being able to activate the power-up during levels at the cost of gems (giving them another use), maybe other things such as adding range upgrade to the attack speed skill or increasing the radius of the magnets.

My main problem with the tokens is that they're almost necessary.
Tokens can be used for a few important things, skipping levels, adding party members, restarting when you die and buying buffs for that run. These buffs range from two-sided (increasing your movement speed is really important, but also makes it a bit more difficult to not run into things) to weirdly necessary (having 25% more attack speed is plainly better than not having it) so you just need the tokens for more difficult levels (and they do get tough) and they drop dreadfully rarely. I wish you could spend gems to get tokens, maybe 1000 gems for one token?

As a general rule, I never buy finite resources, but will throw a buck or two for permanent upgrades.
I was surprised that there is no exp/gem doubler in Nimble Quest, all you can buy that lasts 'forever' is an unlock for red gems that are worth 10 green ones. Otherwise you're stuck with blue/green gems, I suppose. Too bad there wasn't a way to buy exp doubling or gem doubling, or token doubling for that matter. Oh, what really surprised me was that this unlock was 4.99$ I'm not buying into the 'everything needs to be free or .99$' vision so I don't mind giving the Nimblebit guys my money, but I thought 5$ for that kind of upgrade was a bit weird.

GEMS!
The gems are fun to collect, you either fill you screen with them by completing a level or by opening a chest, it's even better when you have a magnet to get them all (I could say that it's the best in that case), otherwise if you don't have the speed boost buff (that costs 1 token), you're not going to get much, which is kinda sad and frustrating to see them all disappear about five seconds after they spawned. It's in these situations I really wished for a way to trigger the magnet myself.

I really like this.
Otherwise, the gameplay is great, you swipe in all four directions to change the way your 'snake' is going, and that works perfectly (but don't stay too close to the borders or near enemies because even if it works, it's not perfect and you might turn the wrong way a small - but frustrating - number of times) I really love the differences between characters and the way they can upgrade to become stronger - the little cosmetic changes as they level are neat - but then again, I wish some characters would get other upgrades such as being able to bounce into walls or double the range of the magnet or ignore slowdown from enemies. Little things to change how the game plays and that would really impact how you choose your leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment